Find out how to pass fees to your donors, depending on the type of pricing plan you select.
MemberHub collects tips or charges a fee to cover the costs of running our site, so we can provide you with the best fundraising platform possible. We’ve partnered with Stripe, which also charges a small fee for their payment processing services.
We provide both Free and Advanced Pricing to accommodate all fundraising needs. The plan you choose will affect which fees you can pass on to donors.
If You Select Free Pricing
With Free Pricing, there’s no platform fee. Instead, donors can optionally leave tips to cover operating costs. Even if no one leaves a tip, we still won’t charge you a MemberHubfee.
The only fee you’ll pay on this plan is Stripe’s credit card processing fee. Stripe automatically deducts their fee from every transaction. If you use Free Pricing, you won’t be able to pass the credit card processing fees on to donors.
If You Select Advanced Pricing
With Advanced Pricing, you can have your donors pay neither fee, both fees, or just the platform fee:
- MemberHub's platform fee: This fee covers MemberHub’s operating costs instead of tips from donors. The percentage amount is 7.5% per transaction. See our Pricing Page for more details.
- Stripe fee: This is the standard fee for credit card processing. Stripe, our third-party credit card processing partner, charges this fee.
Have Donors Pay All Fees
With this option, your donors cover all fees. Your organization receives the entire donation amount.
Notice that the Add the payment processing fee to each donation toggle is turned ON. This means that your donors will pay the payment processing fees.
Share Fees Between Donors and Your Organization
There are four ways to share fees between your organization and donors.
1. Have your organization cover both fees but add a convenience fee to each transaction to offset those costs.
A convenience fee is a one-time amount added to each transaction. You determine the fee amount and set it while creating your Experience. The convenience fee is applied to the platform and payment processing fees, and then your organization pays the rest.
Notice that the Add a convenience fee to each donation toggle is turned ON. This means that your donors will pay the convenience fee.
2. Add the platform fee to each donation, but have your organization cover the payment processing fee.
Notice that the Add the payment processing fee to each donation toggle is turned OFF. This means that your donors don’t pay the payment processing fee.
3. Give donors the option to cover the platform fee, but have your organization cover the payment processing fee.
Your organization will only be responsible for the platform fee if the donor declines to pay it themselves. On average, over 90% of donors are willing to cover this fee if an organization gives them the option.
Notice that the Add the payment processing fee to each donation toggle is turned OFF.
4. Give donors the option to cover both fees, but have your organization cover the fees if they choose not to.
Your organization will only be responsible for the fees if the donor declines to pay them. Notice that the Add the payment processing fee to each donation toggle is turned ON.
Good to Know
- Once your Experience is published, you won’t be able to change your Advanced Pricing selection to Free Pricing. Double-check all settings before publishing.
- Both fees are individually applied to each transaction and are immediately deducted when the donor pays.
- Currently, there is no option to require donors to cover ONLY the payment processing fee.