Once your auction campaign has launched, you’ll want to spread the word as far as possible to reach potential bidders. MemberHub offers a couple of ways for promoting auction campaigns:
- Promote the link to the main online auction. This will enable visitors to view all the items available for bidding.
- Promote the link to individual auction items. This will take visitors to auctions for specific items, which may be beneficial if your items are tailored to certain groups.
While promoting the link to your main auction page will raise general awareness for your campaign, having a link to each auction item can help you tailor your advertising to more specific audiences, depending on the item. For example, if you’re auctioning off two free rounds of golf at Pebble Beach, you might send the link for this specific prize to various golf clubs in your area. You could also post the link on golf forums or explore other ways to get your auction information in front of golf enthusiasts.
Here are some additional ways to use a specific auction item’s unique sharing link:
In place of a bid sheet
Having a link to each auction item makes it easy to encourage bidding for your online auction at a live event or gala. For example, you could display your items on a table and place a card by each item featuring the unique link to that item. The card could read: “To bid on this item, go to this link: [item sharing link].”
People can then use their phones to access that specific item on your auction easily and place a bid immediately. You can even create a QR code with the link, which people can scan with a smartphone to avoid having to type in a URL. With the ability to jump directly into the online bidding process, your event attendees may be more likely to participate in your online auction.
Promoting an item that has a low number of bids
Some items on your auction may not get as much traffic as others. Promoting items with a low number of bids can help generate interest, both in that specific item and in the overall campaign. You can send an email blast to your entire donor list or to selective audiences who have shown an interest in related items. The link will take them right to that item, making the bidding process quick and hassle-free.
How to set up item sharing links:
- Go to My Campaigns in the left menu.
- If you have chosen a list view, click on the title of your campaign. If you have chosen a grid view, click on the campaign image.
- Click Edit Campaign.
- Click on the Auction step in the timeline at the top.
- Click EDIT on an existing auction item or create a new one.
- Set the item’s sharing link under customize this item’s unique sharing link.
- Copy this link and share it with your supporters using the methods described above or any other option you see fit.
Good to know
- You can easily access the sharing links for all items in one report. Go to View Auction Bids in your campaign management menu and click EXPORT items in the lower-left corner.
- In addition to the tips above which are specific to auctions, you can also learn more about promoting your campaign here.