MemberHub is able to manage multiple groups as well as groups within groups (or hubs within hubs). This allows organizations to communicate at multiple levels (i.e., school-wide, class or individual) and automatically add and remove people from hubs higher up the tree.
Hubs are a great way to allow a contact who is not an Organization Admin to communicate with a select group of people within your site. Hub Admins will be able to create messages, events, and share files and photos with contacts within their hubs.
At the end of this article, there are some suggestions for elementary, middle and high school hubs that may help you have an idea of how to set up your hubs.
Note: If your hub has already been created, you can still adjust it in Hub Settings, find Instructions here.
To create hubs:
1. Go to the Contacts Menu and click Manage Hubs & Hub Contacts.
2. Click on the Add Hub Button and you will see this pop-up below.
3. Select the Parent Hub if this is a hub within a hub (or sub-hub). An example of a hub within a hub would be a Classroom hub within a Grade Level Hub. All contacts within the classrooom hub would also be in the Grade Level hub since it would be the parent hub of the classroom hub.
4. Enter your Hub Name.
5. Check the box if you wish to be added to the Hub as a Hub Administrator.
Adjust Hub Settings
Once your Hub is created, you can now adjust the settings for the hub. When viewing the list of Hubs, click the 3 dots next to the Hub you just created and click Hub Settings.
For the Hub Settings, you can:
- change the Parent Hub or rename the Hub.
- archive the Hub
- choose to allow everyone in the hub to send messages and create events within the hub or you can limit this permission to only Hub Admin
- If you want to allow users to view this Hubs contact list in the Directory, check the box for "Allow this hub to be filtered in the Directory."
- Set Hub Joins settings: make the hub visible for anyone in your organization to join or keep hidden
- Enter a description of the hub as well and this will help others in your organization determine if they should join your hub.
Add Contacts to Hubs
Once you have created the hub, you can then add contacts to your hub. Go to Contacts>Manage Hubs and Hub Contacts. Click the Add Contacts link for that hub.
Add Contact - You can add new contacts that aren't already in your site.
Select the Role you want the contact to have and you can choose to expire the role at the end of the year. You can also choose to notify this contact via email that they have been added to this hub and send a message as well.
Add Existing Contacts - You can choose existing contacts from a list.
Enter Email Addresses - You can add one or more contact by entering the email address(es).
You can view the list of current hub contacts by going to Contacts > Manage Hub & Hub Contacts > click the dots next to the hub>select Hub Contacts. When viewing the list of contacts, you can click the gear icon in the top left area to adjust the Hub settings. You can click the download icon to the right of the gear icon to export your hub contacts to a CSV file. You can also click Add Contact in the top right corner to add contacts to the hub. If you check the box for a contact, you then have the option to add a Role (Action menu) to the selected contact(s) or send them a message by clicking the envelope icon.
The last way for contacts to join your hub is to join on their own. To do this, they would go to Communications > Join Hubs. From this page, you will see all hubs that are open for anyone to join. You can find the hub you wish to join and click Join for that hub. If a hub has a setting that requires you to submit a request to join rather than just joining, the hub admin will have to approve the join request before you are added to the hub. Hub Admin can go here to see how to approve hub join requests.
Once you have people in your hub, you can assign them different role(s) within your hub. To do this, go to Contacts > Manage Hubs & Hub Contacts and click the 3 dots for the hub. Click Hub Contacts.
From this page, there are 2 different ways to add a role to a contact.
- Click the 3 dots next to the contacts name and Click Add Role.
- Check the box next to the Contact's name and click the Actions>Add Role.
There are 3 different roles you can assign to a contact within a Hub:
- Admin: Makes them an admin for the hub.
- Contact: Parent Contact; not a student in the hub.
- Student: Identifies them as a student within the hub and not necessarily a Parent Contact.
You can also choose to expire the role at the end of the year. When you select this option, you will then need to select the year that this role will expire at the end. Selecting 2020-21 year will make this role expire on 6/30/2021.